Aug 11, 2023

Here is a story that moved a ..`home lovin` man...`


January 26, 1974 I was a young student visiting my parents in my home town Lodingen. On this very date Gaul was expected to visit Lodingen. Both my father and I drove to the dock and went on board Gaul. A crew member had some kind of health issues, and we took him to the local doctor. Returning to the trawler we went on board again, talked a little with the skipper who gave us a can of beer (each). Gaul left Lodingen and we drove home.
If I remember correctly, it was a Saturday evening. We arrived at my parent’s house, and I was eager to have my beer that was made in England.
The beer tasted very good; I remember. My father, however, decided that he would save the beer for a special occasion, i.e. for later.
Well, a week or so later we learned that Gaul was missing. My father then decided not to drink his Long Life Beer and stored the can in his bedroom closet. 

The crowd upon the quayside
Their faces long and drawn
Are suddenly awakened
As we sail in on the dawn
The wives, the sons, the lovers
Who never gave up hope
All breathe a sigh together
As they reach to catch the rope.....

I never again, got to see Uncle Barry but he remained in my mind, the Uncle who gave us so much.
But died at sea aged 19. 




No comments:

Life going so fast,nephews even got homework.

What can l say Hull City had a good win. 4_1 against Cardiff. Nephew got me spending on him, every penny was worthwhile, we talked laughed ,...

MAYBE WE WON`T MEET AGAIN

. . . she got a postcard in the mail
That just said Heaven,with a picture of the ocean and the beach
The simple words he wrote her
Said he loved her
How he'd hold her if his arms would reach
Wish you were here, wish you could see this place
Wish you were near,Wish I could touch your face
The weather's nice, it's paradise
It's summertime all year and there's some folks we know
They say, "Hello, "
I miss you so, wish you were here"